Indonesia Death Penalty Report 2020: Taking Lives During Pandemic
by Admin | 10/12/2020 10:18 am
In the period March 2020 to October 2020, during the pandemic, there were at least 87 death penalty cases with 106 defendants, this is an increase compared to the same period from March 2019 to October 2019, with 48 death penalty cases with 51 defendants. Every year, the number of death penalty prosecutions and convictions continues to increase.
Another phenomenon is focused on those who are currently sitting on death row with all their vulnerabilities. Currently, there are 355 people on death row in Indonesia. Sixty-three of them have been waiting in constant fear for over 10 years. There are 4 people on death row who are very old, almost half of their age has been spent in prison. From the total, 10 of them are women who have experienced multiple gender-based violence in their lives, ranging from victims of sexual violence to victims of economic exploitation.
ICJR 2020 report on death penalty available here
For the full version in Bahasa Indonesian click here
- 10/12/2020 Death Row Phenomenon in Indonesia
- 10/10/2016 Indonesia: Time to establish a moratorium on executions and review all death penalty cases as first steps towards abolition
- 06/08/2018 ICJR calls for Government Assurance on “Indonesian Way” of Death Penalty
- 17/10/2016 Joint Report on Issues on Death Penalty in Indonesia
- 17/01/2015 A Myth Entitled: Death Penalty to Deter Crimes
- here: https://icjr.or.id/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Death-Penalty-Report-ICJR-2020.pdf
- here: https://icjr.or.id/laporan-situasi-kebijakan-hukuman-mati-di-indonesia-2020-mencabut-nyawa-di-masa-pandemi/
- Death Row Phenomenon in Indonesia: https://icjr.or.id/death-row-phenomenon-in-indonesia/
- Indonesia: Time to establish a moratorium on executions and review all death penalty cases as first steps towards abolition: https://icjr.or.id/indonesia-time-to-establish-a-moratorium-on-executions-and-review-all-death-penalty-cases-as-first-steps-towards-abolition/
- ICJR calls for Government Assurance on “Indonesian Way” of Death Penalty: https://icjr.or.id/icjr-calls-for-government-assurance-on-indonesian-way-of-death-penalty/
- Joint Report on Issues on Death Penalty in Indonesia: https://icjr.or.id/joint-report-on-issues-on-death-penalty-in-indonesia/
- A Myth Entitled: Death Penalty to Deter Crimes: https://icjr.or.id/a-myth-entitled-death-penalty-to-deter-crimes/
- Tweet: https://twitter.com/share
Source URL: https://icjr.or.id/indonesia-death-penalty-report-2020-taking-lives-during-pandemic/
Copyright ©2021 ICJR unless otherwise noted.